Monday, October 19, 2009

My 25 Favorite Move Scenes-- The Final Four!

This is it. The Final Four. The top movie scenes. Welcome to the end.

4. “He is Edmond Dantes” (V for Vendetta): Everyone needs to watch this movie. It’s the Wachowski Borthers’ (Matrix) finest work, Hugo Weaving’s acting is phenomenal, and the writing is absolutely top-notch. This final scene, examining the vengeful nature of its protagonist, has amazing cinematography, intelligent and gorgeous acting from Natalie Portman, and a great score that tastefully uses the 1812 Overture.

3. Opening Scene (Raiders of the Lost Ark): This is what every action movie wants to be, and it pulls out all the stops in the first five minutes. This sequence not only introduces you to the character of Indiana Jones, but it also gives you a good taste of where the movie is going. The moment with the boulder is pure movie magic, and cinema history.

2. Mount Doom (The Return of the King): This is the definition of pure, unadulterated EPIC. The score, by Howard Shore, is at its height for the trilogy, the acting (from Elijah Wood, Sean Astin, Viggo Mortensen, Ian McKellen, Andy Serkis, and a whole slew of others) reaches an emotional climax, and I believe it’s impossible to watch this sequence without your heart beating twice as fast.

And the number 1 moment is...
1. Oh Captain, My Captain (Dead Poets Society): This film has been seen by far too few people, but it should be seen by everyone in the world. This is Robin Williams’ best role in my opinion, and this final scene is done pitch-perfect. The scene ties in with earlier motifs established in the movie, ties up several emotional character-arcs, and has a great score. There is absolutely no way I can watch this scene without crying, and I am not the world’s biggest softie. Watch this movie. Watch it now. Then watch all of the others on this list.

So there it is. My top 25. Were there any I omitted? Do you think any scenes you remember were better than the ones I included? Feel free to comment below.

Coming Soon: The Maze Runner

2 comments:

logankstewart said...

Hmmm. Thoughtful. I haven't seen Dead Poets Society since high school, but I do remember liking the movie quite a bit.

This was a nice list to read through, and I'm sure it was fun to create. Great set of posts.

Melissa (My World...in words and pages) said...

I absolutely love the Indian Jones movies. Love them, Love them.

But I do have to agree with Dead Poets Society. It has been a while since I have seen it but it is truely a classic.

Great Movie list! Loved the memories of all these fabulous movies. Thanks!

THIS IS THE INEVITABLE NOTE FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.