Monday, April 19, 2010

LOST: Season 3

If the seasons of LOST were written as books, the first book would probably be called "Survivors." The second would probably be called either "Dharma" or "The Hatch." Season 3 could very easily be called "The Others."

That's right, in a controversial move, LOST: Season 3 focuses on the mysterious and hostile inhabitants of the equally mysterious and hostile island. We've already met a few, with Ethan Rom in Season 1 and Ben Linus and Tom Friendly in Season 2. But now that the gloves (and beards) are off, it's time to really expand on what happened after the second season's massive cliffhanger. And it takes a while.

This is the problem with Season 3, which is lessened by my watching the DVDs: for about the first six episodes or so, the show only focuses on a couple of major characters at a time. We don't even hear anything about the hatch until the third episode. Really, there's a six episode prologue of sorts that could have used some trimming down.

But the farther in we get, the more the characters develop, and there are some side stories which, while they aren't really all that necessary, are a lot of fun and worth watching. And then, toward the end, the show turns it to 11, giving us a really powerful season finale that makes the desire for Season 4 instantaneous. So, while there was a bit of a dip, and this is a weaker season than the first two, it's still immensely enjoyable and good for some great head-scratching entertainment.

Some favorite episodes of mine:

I Do: Awesome points for the show: Kate was married to Captain Malcolm Reynolds from Firefly. It does my heart good to see Nathan Fillion again.

Flashes Before Your Eyes: This episode is amazing, making Desmond one of my favorite characters. I mean, it's really weird. But GOOD.

Tricia Tanaka is Dead/Expose: These are both of very little significance, but they're so much fun to watch! One involves Hurley and a hippie bus, and the other makes me think Twilight Zone, with a Poe-esque ending.

The Man from Tallahassee: It's about time we found out how Locke got in that wheelchair to begin with. By the way, it's just a tad shocking.

The Brig: In which two birds are killed with one stone. Literally. I mean, metaphorically. I mean, wow, it's tense but showcases fantastic acting.

Through the Looking Glass: This is the ultimate season finale. Charlie is redeemed, major characters are killed, and a twist shows up at the end that will surely shake the world of LOST to its core. Wow.

So there you have it. FYI, I'm already well into the fourth season, and so far it's even better.

My rating: 9/10

Coming Soon: A week of mystery and thrills.

4 comments:

logankstewart said...

Oh yes. Season 3 and 4 were a little draggier than the first two, but Seasons 5 and 6 are totally killer. Who knows, maybe you'll get through all the remaining episodes in time to watch the finale on May 23.

Christian Miles said...

I really got into the first season of Lost, but for some reason I didn't continue watching the show.

I kinda got into watching Alias instead. Spies Vs. Survivors. Hmm. Both have supernatural twists throughout (or so I've heard about Lost), which is good, because I love the weird stuff.

Anywho, I'm following your blog. You may like mine as well, as I'm a writer. I write articles on fiction writing at TeenInklings.blogspot.com and my personal blog is My-Ink-Spot.blogspot.com. Check 'em out if you'd like. I've really enjoyed browsing through your posts. :-)

The Writer said...

I'll keep that in mind while watching, Logan. I'm probably going to still wait until the DVDs come out in August for Season 6, as I don't want to feel too rushed. I don't want to make my viewing experience limited to only two months.

Thanks for stopping by, Christian! If you like the weird stuff, you'll love LOST the farther it goes. Both LOST and Alias were partially created by J. J. Abrams, so the weird twists make sense. I'm going to need to look through your blog now!

Nathan R. Petrie said...

I'm only halfway through Season 3...so I didn't risk reading all your post....afraid of spoilers ROFL

But this show...has got to be one of the best ever written. The twists, the depth, the character. It's insanity at its best! lol

BTW, I saw on your profile that you're a fan of several Christian fantasy books including Wayne Batson. Good stuff right? I'm giving away a writing bud of Wayne's book "Starlighter" by Bryan Davis on my blog if you're interested. If you think about it, stop on by and enter!

Thanks!

-Nathan
WhisperedRoars.blogspot.com

THIS IS THE INEVITABLE NOTE FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.