Saturday, May 24, 2008

"Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull" review


To all those original Indy fans out there, it's been 19 years since the hero in the fedora graced the screen for what everyone thought would be the last time: Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. And this movie has more skeptics than just about any other movie I've seen. But, hey, they haven't seen the picture. I have. I was standing in line at the box office. There are two groups in front of me. One says, "Two for Indiana Jones." The next says, "Two for the same." Then behind me, I hear an elderly man whistling that all-too-familiar Raiders March.

Hold on to your hats. This is going to be a wild ride.


Indiana Jones is back.


Summary: After a near-fatal (and very creative) run-in with Soviets at Area 51, Indy returns to the college he has taught at for all these years. And he finds out he's being put on an extended-leave-with-pay. The FBI had started snooping around, and they didn't seem to like Indiana Jones.



Indy is about to leave for Europe when, out of the swirling fog, rides Mutt Williams. Mutt finds Indy and tells him an old colleague of his by the name of Oxley has been kidnapped on a hunt for the Crystal Skulls and the Lost Temple of Akator.


Another person was kidnapped as well-- Mutt's mother, Marion.


Evaluation: Man, it's good to see Indiana Jones again. I was admittedly afraid of what would become of this new installment. Last Crusade had a great ending as it was. To be honest, though, I think I like Crystal Skull's new, more complete ending. And the moment at the end was a real kicker for me. The torch has almost-- but not quite-- been passed to the next Jones.


Of course, Henry III will have to finish school first...


My rating: 9.5/10-- The perfect summer blockbuster.

No comments:

THIS IS THE INEVITABLE NOTE FOUND AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE.